Thursday, July 23, 2009

Year of Science - July commemorates Astronomy

image credit: NASA




Year of Science (YoS) is a special international outreach program of the scientific community to engage the general public is discussions and hands-on activities. Each month a different scientific topic is highlighted and local YoS partners conduct programs and interacts with the public. It’s great! This month-long outreach program is an intersection of the Year of Science and The International Year of Astronomy 2009 and together both Celebrate Astronomy throughout the month of July.


As explained on the Year of Science website, Astronomy is the oldest field of science, dating back to early man watching the night sky, developing calendars, navigating ocean routes, and the recent travel into space. And this has been a landmark week in Astronomy and Planetary Sciences.


July 20, 2009 is the 40th anniversary of Neil Armstrong’s walk on the moon. NPR had Dr. Bernard Harris on Tell Me More to discuss his space walk in 1995. He also discussed his outreach program – The Harris Foundation Summer Science Camp.
It is a summer academic program for middle-school students to engage in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM). There are science camp programs all over the U.S. and as I just learned in my town of St. Louis. Click here for a list of participating campuses and look into having a youngster you know participate in the future. How did I miss this? I’m all about the outreach. If you all need to expand your summer camp faculty in the future, then call me.


Wednesday, July 22, 2009 there are a solar eclipse, best seen in Asia. The accounts of the event sounded beautiful. See the image provided by NASA below. Read more about it here.


Today, July 23, 2009, I heard a story on NPR about an amateur astronomer in Australia who discovered an impact spot of a comet on Jupiter. Anthony Wesley was doing his routine sky watching and made a discovery that rivals that of professional scientists and space science programs like NASA.


Citizen Science rocks!


Me at the Adler Planetarium in Chicago, Illinois.


Hey, BlogHer conference attendees check this cool science museum out.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi there! I'm stopping by from SITS to say hello. This wasn't the post you gave, but I'm here! I live about 3 hours north of you :-) You have a great blog. Have a wonderful weekend!!!

Pricousins said...

shew! Good luck on your dissertation! I liked this post! I thought it was the Air and Space museum in DC at first.

Anna Jane said...

wow, its cool to come across a blog regarding science and astronomy. I for one have always been fascinated by what's really up there in the skies, i think you should check out smashingmagazine.com's latest post for some truly amazing photos!
keep up the good work,
Anna xxx

Night Owl Mama said...

I LUV THat place I havne't been there since I was a kid I so need to go back

I"M IN chicago too
close to MIDWAY :)
thank for sharing
STOPPIN by from the SITS to say hello

COME ON BY for a visit
http://nightowlmama.blogspot.com/

C U THEN

Anonymous said...

Sounds fun!

Decor To Adore said...

Happy Sunday! I am making way through all of the comments I received when I was featured on SITS. It really is a great SITSahood.
Thank you so much for visiting me and have a blessed day!

Teresa @ ♥ Too Many Heartbeats ♥ said...

Hi Danille~

Thanks so much for coming by my blog and leaving such a nice comment! I voted for you to go on the trip, not just in hopes of winning a contest, but because I wholeheartedly would love to see you be able to go. What an amazing adventure that would be! I will pray you are able to see your dream come true.

Where I live, we have a pretty amazing Youth Science and Technology Center. All 3 of my daughters have had the benefit of learning through this amazing center. I wish we would have had something like this when I was growing up! Here's the link if you want to check it out:

http://www.shenandoahgystc.org/

I will keep tabs on how you are doing. I DID go through all the hoops to make sure I confirmed my registration and that my vote counted for your trip! I hope to be reading about it sometime in the near future!

Blessings,

Teresa <><

Dee said...

Hi,

Visiting from SITS for the first time.

Nice,informative blog you have here.

Related Posts with Thumbnails