Thursday, October 09, 2008

Science Video Contests

I find the communication vehicles afforded by the internet quite fascinating. You communicate visually, in writing, and auditory. Pretty much everything but touch, taste and smell and I bet someone is working on that.
For those of you have started following me recently, you may be surprised to know that all of this started out as a way to pour my energies into outreach until I could snag an opportunity to go live. My fondest wish is to produce a science television program about urban ecology and environmental education. I love sharing science and I’m not shy.
That brings me to two crazy ideas have swirling around in my head: Entering a couple of Video Contests. Yes, I am diligently working on the dissertation. But this is in the name of Science. It’s one of my synergistic activities. That makes it alright then.

Contest #1
Tom's of Maine River Stories Video Contest
Make a video talking about your eco-friendly river experiences.
The Prize: a New Honda Prius
I’ve got lots of possible stories to tell. I’ve lived in a Mississippi River city most of my life. More recently, I have done several work/volunteer projects that deal with the Mississippi & Missouri River Confluence.
A new fuel efficient car would be sweet. I’d have to pass a hat around to pay the taxes on that prize. Deadline for Submission Oct 31, 3008

Contest #2
AAAS Science Dance Party Dance Your PhD Thesis Contest
The Prize: Conference & Travel Fees to the AAAS meeting in Chicago 2009.
I’m writing up my dissertation and preparing my presentation for defense right now. What better time to do a dance interpretation of my dissertation. Do you think I can submit that to my committee? Hmmm.
Deadline for submission Nov 16, 2008

Join me, why don't ya?

3 comments:

Miriam Goldstein said...

You ARE going to enter the AAAS dance contest, right? Because a vole behavior dance would be AMAZING.

DNLee said...

I having the darnest time thinking up a routine. In fact I'm blocked about writing about my studies, too. Maybe a little Achy-Breaky will unblock me.
hahaha

Anonymous said...

With your great communication skills and serious science creds, I think science TV would be an awesome idea. I'll be watching for you.

Good luck on the contests. Hope you are unblocked now.

Related Posts with Thumbnails