Friday, October 17, 2008

The Projector Makes the Debate, Again

I really can't believe the projector was mentioned again in the 3rd Presidential Debate.


I didn't get into details last time, it was Wordless Wednesday after all, but I think some explanation seems to be in order now.


"One science spending difference managed to creep into the second presidential debate, however. McCain ridiculed an unsuccessful Obama earmark attempt to get "$3 million for an overhead projector at a planetarium in Chicago, Ill. My friends, do we need to spend that kind of money?" McCain asked.It turns out that wasn't just an old-fashioned overhead slide viewer, but a replacement for the 38-year-old star-and-planet projector in the Sky Theater at the Adler Planetarium, the first planetarium in the Western Hemisphere and located in Obama's home state."

- from the LiveScience.com article Scientists View Both Obama, McCain as Supportive, which by the way I recommend reading.

This is the "projector" that needs replacing. It 'projects' images of space onto the domed Sky Theater. Now I went through some trouble to get this shot. The Sky Theater is a show and extra feature in addition to regular admission $10 for adults and they offer no student discounts. I entered the theater, without a ticket as paid patrons were entering. The staff were hawking me as I explained that I just want a photo of the Zeiss, the much debated projector. They watched suspiciously as I flashed photos and seemed relieved when I dashed out of the theater.

That was my Urban Science Adventure, endured to deliver facts to you.

Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails