Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Improving outreach - Growing the Blog

I've been concerned about growing the reach of this blog. I realize that my original focus is falling short. That's not a bad thing. I am learning something important about outreach. I have failed to reach out to other kindred spirits - science educators, environmental educators, outdoor educators - who blog. Not as easy as I thought it should be. I can't yet find a directory or aggregate for science education related blogs. Even technorati bounced back alot of stuff that seemed off base.

I finally googled it, here's what I've come up with.

Citizen Science Projects - Real people, doing real science.
Science Fair Projects Blog - A blog of science fair projects, experiments, how-to information, sources for supplies.
science-projects - http://science-projects.blogspot.com/
Squidoo : Lens : Demonstration Science Projects - Need to demonstrate a science project in front of the class? Here's some science projects that make great demonstrations! #1 Overnight Science...
Squidoo : Lens : Science Projects - Overnight science projects - projects for science fairs that you can start and finish in 24 hours - links to more involved ones too!


I'll check these out and let you know what I think. Also, I realize that commenting on other blogs is a big deal too. The thing is, most people comment on controversial topics. If I tend to agree with post, I usually nod, but don't post. I suspect that happens with my entries. I get traffic, but comments are low.

It's all about finding an audience.

5 comments:

Miriam Goldstein said...

I'm not specifically an educator (I'm a grad student) but I've found that participating in the larger science blogging community to be very useful. I think most scientists blog because they're interested in general outreach. Though there certainly is the controversy-loving contingency, I think there are also many blogs that just focus on neat stuff.

Personally, I enjoy your blog because of my interest in urban systems, but I'd love to see you post a bit more often and with more of an emphasis on urban ecology. Thanks for an interesting blog!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Miriam. I working on that. I have a load of photos - with accompanying posts - I've been behind the 8 ball putting up on the site.

Podblack said...

Hi - you might like to check out my blog. Much of the traffic and interaction I get is via contributing to popular blog carnivals? There are science educators out there, it's also a matter of joining some of the 'blog communities' and cross-posting particular blog entries. I do that with a few. :) Podblack.wordpress.com

Kimberly Dawn Wells said...

Great job using your blog to promote your Squidoo lens! Be sure to visit us at the forums to learn and share: http://www.squidu.com/forum

~Kimberly
Squidoo's Community Organizer

Anonymous said...

thanks for all the input. I was looking around at blogs I like. I don't know how I missed it, but pictures make a difference. I'm going back and adding some photos to old post. My beau was right. My blog needs sprucing up.

Related Posts with Thumbnails