Tuesday, September 23, 2008

NPR stories about Urban Science

It is the start of autumn and along with crisp air and changing leaf colors, millions of birds are migrating south now. Along the river ways and waterways of this nation, several thousand species of birds will use these waterways, even man-made ponds and farm fields are rest stops on the long flight. Some will stay, many more will only pass through -- stopping over for the night, resting, eating and continuing south.
I was listening to NPR (National Public Radio) on the way home yesterday and I heard this wonderful commentary about helping migrating birds that get disoriented in big cities: The Magic Hedge: Haven For A Lost Bird In Chicago by Julie Zickefoose. Please check it out.

And All Things Considered did a piece about how Hurricane Ike has also impacted pets: Hurricane-Hit Pets Seek New Homes by Noah Adams. They so, stole my story. I presented this to you a week ago. But, please check out, too.

3 comments:

Julie Zickefoose said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Ms. Lee! Through letters from NPR listeners I learned that there is an organized volunteer effort by an area rehabilitator to gather up stunned birds and rehydrate, feed and release them in Chicago. Nice! So glad to know you're out there. Now we need to get urban areas to dim or turn out lights at least during migration, like Toronto has--see flap.org for more details. Light pollution is an insidious thing--but so easy to address. Turn 'em off!
So glad to know you're out there--you are a rare bird.

DNLee said...

hey, thanks for visiting and commenting. I feel SO honored.

Since my blog is specifically about urban-nature issues, this matter of light dimming is right up my alley. I'll do my part to raise awareness about this issue to my readers.

Glad to participate.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for coming over and leaving an interesting comment. I don't have much time this morning to have a proper read of your blog. but I will be very interested when I come back.. I am off to read the magic hedge article now.. cheers kim

Related Posts with Thumbnails