Sunday, September 20, 2009

In Memorium: Ms. Gloria Eggerson, Math Educator

Ms. Eggerson taught me math in 7th grade (Riverview Jr. High) and also 10th grade Geometry (Whitehaven High School), both of Memphis, Tennessee. She also taught my mother, my uncle, my younger sister, my older cousins and their children. For 29th years Ms. Eggerson was an esteemed member of the faculty of Memphis City Schools and made quite an impression on the hundreds of students she taught.

In addition to educating us, she was also a close friend of our family. Many of my earliest sleepovers were with her daughters and had many Sunday and holiday dinners at my grandmother's and later my mother's table. Her passing was a personal loss for our family. I have many memories of her, most of which brings a big smile and plenty of loud rambunctious laughter (which she and I are both known for).

Yet, I learned something more than math from her for she embodied Pan-Hellenic love. She was a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. - made November 1968 at LeMoyne-Owen College. She was very proud of her sorority and represented to the fullest. She loved Delta, but not once did I ever hear her say one disparaging word about other sororities or their members. (This despite some of the common misperceptions and mis-representations that members of different organizations don't get along). In fact, many of her best friends belonged to other sororities and they would all wear their T-shirts and hang together, often referring to one another as sisters. And when I pledged Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. she'd refer to me as Little Skee Wee. She was the first person I had met who had belonged to a Black Greek Letter organization and I learned from her generosity and sweet nature the meaning of service and community.

I am proud to call her my friend and I will miss her dearly.
Link to her obituary in the Commercial Appeal here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom WAS an excellent Math teacher. As I sit here reading, and with tears streaming down my face, I am reminded that she touched very many lives. But, not like you have touched mine by memorializing her this way. I miss her very very much. I "googled" her name and look at what I found, more tears on my keyboard and a hidden treasure: Fookie's blog, omg/lol. Why didn't you tell me? Keep up the great work. I have to visit your site more often.

Anonymous said...

Ms. Eggerson made math easy for me, and she made some very difficult personal times fun. I don't know IF she knew how much impartial affection I felt from her but I certainly wish I could have had the chance to tell her that. I was also in her 7th grade homeroom. One funny thing about Ms. Eggerson is that she greatly admired my mother's style, and she bought a red dress close to the burgundy sweater dress my mom wore to school one day. Gloria Eggerson represented - to me - the last of the "Good Times" people --- that kind of familiar fun soul so common in the world I was born into, before the times changed. She seemed a community woman, and her impression was such that I will never forget. She remains one of the most memorable human beings I have EVER met, and I will always cherish her memory for as long as I live. And while she may not be with us in the flesh, I am sure heaven just got a lot more fun!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails