Thursday, July 20, 2006

Bright Idea: Urban Science TV Program

Okay, now that I am seriously thinking about this [ad]venture, I've got to figure out all of the ins and outs. I surfed the web today just to know what's out there about starting a science show program. No webpages with checklists or recommendations. (If you have any, I'm all ears).
But while surfing, I did come across some interesting things. One news article I ran across is about an Arizonia PBS Station that recently kicked off a new Science program geared to tweenagers, DragonFly TV, http://pbskids.org/dragonflytv/. The show even has 2 teenage girls as hosts. I've never watched it, but it sounds great. The show shows everyday kids doing science and loving it. A great idea!
Scientific Literacy, Science Education and Appreciation of Science are so improtant to me. And I feel that it is especially important to promote these three things to urban and African-American youth. So, that's my angle. I want to produce an urban-friendly science program that teens from this demographic can relate to.
So, my next step was to let others know my desire and interests. I shared my thoughts with my fellow lab mates and two of my advisors. One of which has produced a few non-commercial animal behavior films. He is actually an Animal Behavior Society Jack Ward Memorial Film Competition Award receipient, (http://record.wustl.edu/news/page/normal/4367.html). He was great enough to make many recommendations about program content and structure. Plus, it was really great to have my advisor, a committee member and my colleagues on board. They've even offered to participate and star in future episodes. But hold on, let me not get ahead of my self.

Related Posts with Thumbnails