Friday, June 04, 2010

Preparing for summer camp

Oh, I love summer! I love it, love it, love it.
And I'm very happy to annouce I have secured a fantastic summer position as the supervisor of a local Urban Nature Summer camp program. (Yes, the same one I did last year).

I'm working behind the scenes: interviewing hopeful Outdoor Instructors, calling facilities, making arrangements for the program.  I'm also assembling the handbook of activities.  We have a notebook full of classic raccoon circle activities that are always a hit and I've come across some new gems related to the same ideas.  I just had to share these with you.  I want everyone to appreciate how much the outdoors can be (and how much fun learning about ecology is, too.)

Thinks of these links as activity guides for any children you may have this summer (camp counselor, family reunions, scouting trips, babysitting, anything)
101 Nature Activities from Sanborn Western Camps
Environmental Education Activities & Games 
100 + Things You Can Do Outside! - recommended by me
 

I'm so looking forward to working this summer.


Picture of a may apple flower. I learned about this plant and how to identify last year when I worked for this program.  I hope to learn as much as I share with the kiddies this summer.

**************

And the Adventures continue...online. I have created an Urban Science Adventures! © Facebook Fan Page. Now you can share your pictures and stories all year long with other urban nature and environmental education enthusiasts.

2 comments:

Rue Mapp said...

I simply LOVE summer camp and cannot wait until I go up with my family this year. Thanks for sharing so many fun and accessible ways for people to get out and engage!

abbie said...

Thanks for the great links. I will definitely be using some of those ideas on a new project I am starting at www.greeningsamandavery.typepad.com
I would love for you to come over and check it out when it gets up and going in July!
I am originally from St. Louis myself, so I love the pictures that you post of places around the area!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails