Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Wordless Wednesday: Pesky Birds (Travelog Europe)

Urban Wildlife Sightings while I was in Europe. These three bird species are regarded as pest species in the United States. Like their American cousins, they are also well-adapted to live near people in urban settings, eating discarded food and crumbs and congregating near centers of people activity.

Young European Starling at the Schiphol Airport, Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

flock of pigeons in Rennes, France

A raven, Paris, France

A raven in a Sycamore tree, Paris France

Pigeons begging, Seine River, Paris, France
____________________________________
Annoucement:
Tune into the Mario Armstrong radio program- Digital Spin - on WEAA 88.9 FM (Baltimore, MD), this Wednesday 6pm - 7pm CST/7p-8p EST.
Tune in and listen live online http://www.weaa.org/
I'll be discussing science blogging, including my recent 2009 Black Web Award for Best Science/Technology Blog and my bid to win the Blog Your Way to Antarctica Contest.

8 comments:

Bob O'H said...

When I was in New York last month, I was amused that the most common species I saw were sparrows, starlings and pigeons. It made me feel strangely at home.

I think starlings have actually been declining in Europe, so we'll happily take back any you have spare over there.

Chickadee said...

I'll bet it was odd to see and readily recognize those birds.

Believe it or not, House Sparrow numbers are DECLINING in Europe. (But I'll bet you already knew that)

Rick (Ratty) said...

I like them even though they're considered pests. I understand why they are thought of as pests, but they never bother me personally, and I like looking at them.

Unknown said...

Happy WW! I grew up in Los Angeles. We had plenty of pigeons. I guess that they like urban areas...

I invite your blog readers to share in my not-so-wordless homage to the 8th anniversary of the terrorist attacks on Americama.

peace, Villager

ExtraordinaryMommy said...

What beautiful pictures - love that you have photographed your passion in so many countries!

Myra said...

Nice and interesting articles you have... Keep posting and God Bless You.

Shiela said...

I love pigeons, but now i feel sad for them. people considered them as a pests not as pets

Shirley said...

HI, I love your photos...

Related Posts with Thumbnails