Wednesday, September 15, 2010

And a new Science Blog is born...SouthernPlayalisticEvolutionMusic

I was always in love with music. I learned how to change radio stations on our old school 8-track record player console by the age of 3. I knew what I liked: piano melodies, bass guitars, drum beats, and catchy hooks, also known as chorus.  And then I discovered hip-hop.  Like a scence from Brown Sugar, I remember when I fell in love with hip-hop.  It was 1985, and I was mesmerized by Whodini, and the rapper Jaleel - "Five Minutes of Funk" is still my jam! Many, many, many years later I got a chance to see them perform and lo and behold I heard the opening 8 beats to the song. Next thing I remember I cleared the stage landing in one step (wearing high heels mind you) and took the mic from Jaleel and rapped his verses to the song.

Yea, I love hip-hop and many might be surprised as how knowledgeable I am in all of the various hip-hop and rap demonimations.  I ham a Hip-Hop Maven....and I'm also a nerdy girl.  Proud to be both.  So that brings me to my newest blog project - SouthernPlayalisticEvolutonMusic.  It's a science blog about evolutionary biology explained via hip-hop music examples.  It's housed at Southern Fried Science Network.

Why a new blog?  It's a completely different topic - Evolutionary Biology; and it's new voice for me.  I'm primarily writing to an adult audience.  I'm not using foul language or anything, but the evolutionary topics of sexual selection and mate choice are thoroughly explored. Plus, I will likely be sampling some songs with colorful language.  I wanted to keep the voice clear and respect the following this blog has aquired.  This is an introductory science blog about urban ecology that reaches diverse and family-friendly audiences.

I am keeping this blog and plan to re-assume my blogging frequency of 2-3 posts per week.  I'll be taking it easy over at the other blog, once per week as I build an audience. 

In the meantime, please follow me on Twitter as I talk about all things science - urban ecology, informal science education, evolution, and STEM diversity @DNLee5.

1 comment:

Roberta said...

Congratulations on the new "more adult" blog! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

But I'm also glad to see you plan to stick around here.

Sometimes it is hard to juggle multiple blogs,so good luck.

Related Posts with Thumbnails